High Speed Police Car Chase Video in Orillia, ON – Memorial Ave.

Posted on May 4, 2011


via: packet & times

A mangled blue Honda, shattered into pieces, was scattered on the side of Memorial Avenue in Orillia Tuesday morning, a grim reminder of a horrific crash that killed two people from eastern Ontario.

The two people died after being thrown from the wreckage just after 4 a.m., Jon Ansell, investigator with Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU), said on Tuesday.

In the wake of the grisly crash, grass was churned up and a cement curb was smashed where the car drove off Memorial Avenue.

A 28-year-old man and a 19-year-old woman were killed when the driver lost control of the car and struck a hydro pole following a police pursuit on Highway 11, Ansell said.

Barrie OPP attempted to stop a car that was travelling north on Highway 11 in Oro-Medonte Township at 4:17 a.m., but the driver refused to stop and continued north on Highway 11.

“Members of the Barrie detachment of the OPP attempted to stop a car on Highway 11 near Barrie for erratic driving,” Ansell said.

Police set out a spike belt as the car approached Line 15 in Oro-Medonte.

“A spike belt was deployed and made contact with the car, but that was some miles from the final scene,” Ansell said.

Asked if the spike belt caused the car to crash, Ansell replied, “We just knew it ran over it.”

The car continued north before exiting at Memorial Avenue in Orillia.

The SIU says the initial chase began with two officers from Barrie OPP in single cars who were later assisted by three Orillia OPP units “at the end of it,” Ansell said.

Due to the area and speed of the suspect car, the OPP ceased following the car, states an OPP media release. But police did not specify at what point they stopped their pursuit.

However, a YouTube video posted Tuesday morning shows cruisers following a car along Memorial Avenue through the Highway 12 intersection. In the video, the fleeing car’s rims can be heard screeching along the road.

Two police cars follow not far behind while seven more trail from various directions.

Frank Phillips, communications co-ordinator with SIU, says the SIU is still trying to determine when the police stopped pursuing the car.

“We’ll be doing interviews and retracing the route trying to find out exactly what we can find out. There have been no conclusions made by our investigators certainly yet.”

There is provincial legislation governing suspect apprehensions and this will be taken into account during the investigation, Phillips said.

The SIU had a team of seven investigators and three forensic investigators on scene on Tuesday.

Read more HERE.

Posted in: News, Videos